Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Begin at the beginning.

Hi, I’m Kris. Nice to meet you!

If you’re linking over from the website, then you already know a little bit about my rather… unusual job. For those of you who just stumbled in (yeah, i saw that) I’m a hairstylist who specializes in Dreadlocks, Extensions and Synthetics at the one n’ only Knotty Boy Lock Shop in gorgeous Vancouver, BC. (Hey, don’t worry about it. I’m used to the funny looks... Mom.) So, why would a fully trained and licensed hairdresser decide to turn to the dark side? Because it’s waaaaaay more fun over here! I'm not gonna exaggerate, this job rules - and this blog is where I get to rub it in.

Since we're just getting to know each other, I thought I'd spend this week explaining what it is i actually do. Let's begin at the beginning, shall we?

Dreadlocks! Awesome ones can totally be started at home by backcombing and t
wisting. But... you’re looking at about a year of daily palmrolling to achieve a mature and felted lock with this method. If you’ve got the time and patience for it, hells yes – go for it! I certainly didn’t. And it’s not the only way! If you’d rather do….well anything, actually… with your time, c’mon in and have a seat with me, friend.



These dreads here are about 15 minutes old. For reals! On average, they take about 6 hours (of watching Kurt Russell movies, Metalocalypse, and playing GameBoy Tetris.) They’re tightly sectioned at the scalp to keep them from joining, and to help as you get used to taking care of them. (That scalp becomes less visible, promise.) They’re totally customizable sizewise, and the ends can be blunted or tapered. I haven’t used any wax in these pics, though I recommend it in small amounts for maintenance. Above all, they look like dreadlocks! Right from the start! Totally naturally. Pretty cool, hey? Now you'll know what went into 'em when I post pics!

I gotta roll outta here - hair today, gone tomorrow and all ;)